Friday 1 February 2013

Working out the workouts

Most people - actually everyone who knew what I planned today, thought I was crazy.

After school drop off one of the other mum's hosts a training session at her place. Today was my first time, so I didn't know what to expect.  There were 7 of us at varying levels of fitness and fair to say I was making just about everyone else look good.  The trainer was serious and may have thought that the long list of body aches and pains etc that I came up with on my form, were a bunch of hoo ha.  We were running up short inclines, skipping and doing a circuit of semi-torturous exercise, but after the first 15mins of discomfort I actually started to warm up and by the end of the hour I felt really good.

After spoiling myself with a Soy Flat White from my local cafe where I was lucky enough to bump into two fab friends (hello Girls!), I headed down to my second work out appointment, and accidentally arrived half an hour early, so my PT suggested I do some cardio to fill in the time (yay, great idea- I was feeling fresh as a daisy! NOT).  Then for the next hour I was up for a weight training session followed by some more cardio.

The cardio included Tabata Training.  Check it out at www.tabatatraining.org  It is a very specific type of interval training which can be done on a variety of machines or activities.  My choice was the Cross-Trainer.  Briefly, it is a 4 minute workout where you go as hard as you can for 20seconds and then slow down for 10 seconds.  There are 8 intervals of the high intensity exercise.  On the Cross Trainer, every time I went hard, my torturer increased the incline on the machine.  After the 5th one he says can you say 'She sells sea shells by the sea shore' ? and I could - rather smoothly. Mistake.  He put it up really really high.  Lesson learnt!  Anyway, it is supposed to give your metabolism a kick that can last up to 24hours - so it will all be worth it when I can't walk on Sunday.

Oh, and I don't intend to do this kind of back to back work outs ever again!

And tomorrow I am declaring as a chicken breast free zone (see photo of the offending item poached with tomatoes). The mountain of protein I have to eat on this diet is killing me!  In addition after 3 days of making this MY time, my laundry workload is out of control, so tomorrow will also be LAUNDRY time!

And how did my little girl's first week of school go? Well to quote her: "School is definitely awesome !"

No comments:

Post a Comment